Sunday 19 March 2017

Unpopular opinions book tag

I've been looking for tags to participate in and the "unpopular opinions book tag" (which was was created by TheBookArcher) seemed fun, so here we go!

1. A popular book or series that you didn't like.

Divergent by Veronica Roth. 

2. A popular book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love. 

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo. I know the last book in the Shadow and Bone trilogy had many spilt opinions, but personally I LOVED it. I was so happy with how it ended, and the epilogue was everything. 💝

3. A Love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with.

Spoilers ahead...

I don't tend to read books with love triangles, but I did not see this triangle coming. I was so annoyed when Juliette and Warner from the Shatter Me trilogy by Tahera Mafi became a thing. Even more so because to me it felt like originally the author intended Adam/Juliette to be a couple, but then suddenly after book 2 she changed her mind. Adam's character did a complete 360 and became completely unrecognisable  in the novella from his POV, Fracture Me. I was so enraged by it and also the final book in the trilogy, Ignite Me. I prefer for love triangles to be up front, so I can avoid/DNF the book and not waste my time getting invested in the series. You can read my rant review of the novella from Adam's POV, here, if you're interested.

4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.

Contemporary fiction, because I prefer my books not to be grounded in reality. Fantasy all the way! 🙌

5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.

The Darkling from the Shadow and Bone trilogy. I know a lot of people ship him with Alina, but to me he is a villain. I can't see him as a love interest considering everything he's done. 

6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into. 

I'm going to cheat here and list popular authors whose books I have no interest in. Lauren DeStefano, Lauren Oliver, Maggie Stiefvater, Sarah J. Maas. I could go on really...

7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing.

The love triangle/insta-love trope annoys the heck out of me. For example, I could be interested in reading a book, but then if I see in a review that there's a love triangle/insta-love I'm immediately wary. 😩

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.

The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. I know for sure I would not be able to get on with the mc and the romance sounds like a hot mess.

9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?

Under the Dome by Stephen King. I've never been interested in reading the book, but my sister and I loved the TV show.

What would your answers be to these questions? Do you hold a similar opinion to me on any of the above? 📚

3 comments:

  1. Yes, enough with the love triangles and insta-love! I liked Ruin and Rising overall but there were definitely parts of it that I would have liked changed. And you hate the Darkling?! How dare you, lol?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes yes. The Ruin and Rising ending was PERFECT! I am SO glad you loved it too :D YESSS. Gorgeous post Renu. <3 Thank you for sharing about all of this :) You are awesome. And holy crap, the Shatter Me books. Hahaha. So glad you felt this way. <3 I loved book one, right after it came out. But I'm never ever reading the other two books. Shitty plot twist. So upset about it, always :( And yessss. I hate the Darkling too. So so much. Ugh. The most awful villain :\ And yessss. I'm also never reading the Throne of Glass books. So glad you feel the same, hih :) Agree with so much in this post. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That love triangle in Shatter Me. I honestly like Warren over Adam in terms of character interests but when he became the love interests, I just don't see the point. I hate how Adam was suddenly given a bad guy attitude (not that I'm a fan of him or anything) and Warren's actions were given unreasonable justification. it basically ruined the series for me.
    I've only read 2 books form ToG and I like it. The romance is such a mess, that's for sure, but the books as they are, kind of work for me. But I'm not raving about it as much as everyone else.

    ReplyDelete